Visiting Doctoral Candidate

How do I know I am eligible to apply as a Visiting Doctoral Candidate?
If you are currently enrolled in a PhD program at a university (in Germany or abroad) and wish to stay at DLGS for a part of your PhD duration, you are in principle eligible as a Visiting Doctoral Candidate. You can read about the eligibility criteria in detail in the Guide for Applicants. Research visits are accepted subject to availability and based on the quality and thematic fit of the research proposal.

Do I have to enroll at TUD?
DLGS strongly recommends to enroll as a student at TUD for the duration of your visit. There are certain benefits that arise from being enrolled as a student. For example: ease of visa (
entry visa for the purpose of studying according to paragraph 16b of the immigration law), you can chose to attend lectures at the university, also a student ticket ensures reduced fare for transportation in the city and unlimited travel in the regional trains. TUD has an enrolment fee of around 290 EUR per semester. For information and further questions see TUD International office.

How do I enroll as an exchange student at TUD?
You should enrol yourself at the university, applications are received at any time of the year. Along with the application you should additionally send a Learning agreement. Learning agreement outlines your activities during your research stay, the duration of visit, and the courses you wish to take (if credits are required). Please know that usually PhD students at German universities are not required to take courses for credits, hence it is important to mention in your learning agreement and clearly outline how many (if required) credits you are obliged to collect. Also add the confirmation letter from the Professor who has agreed to supervise you for the duration of your stay at DLGS.

You can also write directly to TUD international Office, if you have any other query regarding the application procedure.

You can also take part in the courses offered as a part of DLGS Academic Program. You can chose to receive a participation certificate for such courses, however no credits are offered.

As a part of the PhD program at my home institution, I am obliged to take courses for credits. How can I do so?
If you choose to enroll as an exchange student at TUD, you can attend the regular courses offered at the university. Please state clearly in you Learning agreement, how many credits you need and what courses you would like to attend. Information on types of courses offered at TUD can be found here:

Do I need a visa for the duration of the research exchange?
Permission to enter and reside in Germany depends on the applicant’s country of origin and nationality. Citizens from certain countries (Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, and the USA) are allowed to enter Germany without a visa. However, one must apply for and obtain the residence permit if staying for longer than three months. This permit is issued by the Foreign Resident Authority (Ausländerbehörde). In Dresden, for foreign skilled workers and scientific researchers, the residence permit application is handled by the Dresden Welcome Center.

If you are not from one of the above mentioned countries, you will need a visa to enter Germany. The visa can usually be obtained from German embassies or consulates in your country of residence. When registering your residency at the Ausländerbehörde after your arrival, your visa may be replaced by a residence permit.

More information regarding visa requirements can be found here:

The candidates are obliged to check the visa regulations for themselves and inform DLGS of any requirements necessary.

Will there be any support provided for finding accommodation and life in general in Dresden?
DRESDEN-concept Welcome Center supports international researchers in planning and carrying out their research stay of three months or more. As a service point, the Welcome Center team provides advice on all non-academic and practical issues in order to make your stay in Dresden as pleasant and simple as possible. You can find more information here: